Ro: Simplifying compensation planning for all
Make smarter compensation decisions with Pave
“A compensation process is not simple; there are a lot of nuances and complexities to how we run compensation at Ro. The fact that Pave is able to customize their product to those complexities is fantastic and simplifies compensation both for me, and the people that I need to present it to.”
- Ro, a fast growing digital health company, uses Pave to seamlessly manage its robust global compensation process.
- Their leadership team has appreciated the visibility around total team compensation with the ability to access one source of truth at all times.
- Employees are thrilled by the ability to visualize the value of their equity, and other elements of their compensation through their Total Rewards portals.
- Ro has used Pave’s tools to develop a Personalized Total Rewards Visualization for candidates to welcome new employees joining through acquisition, which has helped create excitement about their equity options and the company they are joining.
- End-to-end global compensation processes run entirely in Pave; from Compensation Planner for decision-makers, to Rewards letters for employees, to onboarding employees from acquisitions with Personalized Total Rewards Visualization that explain their new compensation packages.
- Saved time and boosted visibility every step of the way; switching from spreadsheets to Pave’s Compensation Planner, from manual messages around compensation changes to automated Reward letters, and from verbal offers to personalized total rewards visualizations.
- Increased confidence in merit decisions among their leadership team.
“We run a really robust compensation process. Pave’s compensation planner makes it 10x easier and simpler to communicate employee compensation to our leadership team.”
Ro is the healthcare technology company building a patient-centric healthcare system. Ro’s vertically integrated primary care platform powers a personalized, end-to-end healthcare experience from diagnosis, to delivery of medication, to ongoing care. With a nationwide provider network, in-home care API, and proprietary pharmacy distribution centers, Ro seamlessly connects telehealth, diagnostics, and pharmacy services to provide high-quality, affordable healthcare without the need for insurance. Since 2017, Ro has facilitated more than six million digital healthcare visits in nearly every county in the United States, including 98% of primary care deserts.
Lacking flexible, scalable compensation solutions
As a fast growing healthcare company, they partnered with consultants a few years ago to build out their philosophy and strategy around compensation. It was important to them that their philosophy overall reflect the fact that they care deeply about their people. Unfortunately, the process to execute on their strategy became very manual as they scaled rapidly, running it out of a Google sheet master file with endless tabs. When it came to compensation planning, they had to create different versions for each member of the Leadership team, which led to a lot of back and forth with leaders and additional overhead to manage version control. This was a deeply time-consuming process which presented persistent challenges with identifying their source of truth, and ensuring every leader had the right information at the right time to make effective decisions.
Ro’s team growth meant that they were not only hiring 20+ people a month, but also adding new employees through acquisitions. The ability to explain the potential value of equity and total rewards packages became increasingly important as they continued to scale.
Realizing these challenges would only increase as the business continued to grow, the company sought out a solution that accomplished the following:
- For Leadership: Visibility into each team’s compensation from both a cash and equity perspective
- For Managers: A single source of truth for team compensation, and a tool that supported their robust planning process
- For new hires: A place to learn about their equity with Ro, track their compensation and understand their benefits.
“The level of transparency that leaders get from Pave is exactly what we wanted.”
One partner to solve them all
After looking at various solutions, Ro selected Pave as the one company that had all of the elements they needed to solve for; the candidate experience, the employee experience, and importantly, a seamless end to end compensation process. Ro also uses Carta for equity and Zenefits as their HRIS system – which both integrate with Pave – as well as a variety of vendor partners to manage their employee perks and benefits.
The first thing Ro implemented was Pave’s Compensation Planner. It enabled them to run their entire process, including some of the most difficult parts. With Pave, leaders were given insight into why changes were being recommended at the most granular level, whether it be adjustments due to pay equity or market data shifts, promotion increases, and performance based merit increases. Pave makes it easy to look at every individual employee or whole teams to ensure equitable and fair compensation decisions.
Pave also helped the Ro team close the loop on compensation cycles by generating customized Reward letters for all employees. They had historically used Google Docs to share updated compensation with each manager for their reports, which required a lot of time and energy.
“The ability to have a reward letter that is automatically populated is truly a life saver.”
In terms of the broader impact of implementing Pave’s tools, Ro surveyed leaders and saw an increase in confidence behind deciding compensation for their teams. They received strong positive feedback from their employees, as well:
“The employee (Total Rewards) portal has had a big impact. People say ‘where has this been all of my life, this is the thing that no other company had, and it’s so easy for me to be able to visualize.’”